Closer Components, Faster Machining, Better Material Savings
Near Net Shape (NNS) production techniques provide a part/blank very close to the final form/size, near shape or “near net” geometry of a finished component. NNS’s reduce or even eliminating the need for surface finishing like machining or grinding and deliver bottom line benefits that can save more than two-thirds of the production costs.
Near Net Shapes Deliver:
- Material savings and virtually no wasted scrap
- Easier finishing of parts that are smaller, larger/massive, and complex shaped
- Option of custom colors, additives, materials blends, and/or other enhancements that may not be readily available in solid stock shape form
- Reduced fabrication & labor (machining time)
- Overall increased production efficiency
- Reduced Part Weight
NNS Processing Capabilities:
- Injection Molding
- Custom Casting
- Direct Formed
- 3D Printing Technologies
Guidelines To Identify Near Net Shape Opportunities:
- Yield: Does the part you are machining have poor yielding?
- Geometry: Does the part have irregular geometry, such as surface contours that will require excessive machining time?
- Finished Part Weight to Starting Stock Weight Ratio: Does the process of machining remove greater than 30% of the material?
- Materials: Recommended materials include PA / PEEK / PPS
- Cost: Will machining time and excess material waste be reduced?
- Environment: Less material at the beginning = less waste with the finished part
- Ideal Components: Large components with symmetry (sheaves, pads, pulleys)
- Recommended Part Thickness: 3/8″ and greater
- Recommended Size: From 3″ cube to 7′ diameter
- Tolerances: On average 1/32″
Still need stock shapes, but want custom sizes? Need “Thinner” Sheet or “Smaller/Larger OD Rod/Tube? Ask about our custom stock shape program and start saving on material yield!
Contact: Have a part that might be a good candidate for a near net shape? Simply email or call us for more assistance. Our technical sales representatives will take a look and help with your options.